1. The economy will not "collapse", but it isn't going to get better until the governments of the world leave it to the free market to correct itself.
2. The weak economy will encourage smaller, fiscally responsible game development projects. This will lead to a bunch of interesting stuff coming out in the MMO space, whether technically massively multiplayer or not is yet to be seen.
3. Even with number 2, subscription based MMOs will still be king of the revenue stream at the end of 2009. Thank World of Warcraft for giving MMO developers false hope everywhere.
4. World of Warcraft will not get a new expansion, but something will be announced. It will focus more on new hero classes, the Alliance vs Horde conflict, and high end raiding.
5. WAR will still be around by the end of 2009, but who remains around to develop it may be drastically different.
6. More MMOs will close their doors. The true sign of doom will be when SOE starts closing down some of its B-team living painfully on Station Pass.
7. Speaking of SOE. The doom and gloom continues as SOE continues to push RMT practices on its non-RMT games.
8. An MMO project will come out of left field this year and surprise us all. Scott Jennings may or may not be involved, but he’ll blog about it regardless.
9. The world will end if Diablo III and Starcraft II are both launched in 2009.
Guild Wars 2 MEGA MEGA MEGA MEGA SERVER - THIS SUNDAY ONLY. MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER TR... OOPS I MEAN... MEGA MEGA MEGA SERVER! If this was posted on a April 1st I would have suspected shenanigans...
2 weeks ago