Fixed: Can't find PresentationCore 126.96.36.199
Update: 4/11/2023 - I finally fixed this error. The final fix was updating .NET framework to version 4.8.1 (which I got from here). As of 4/11 the recommended version is 4.8, but multiple uninstall and reinstall of that version had no change in the error on install. However, on a lark I tried the most recent version 4.8.1 even though it is not recommended a voila; problem solved!
Note: I have a support case open with Discord but no resolution yet. Figured I'd post here as well and also on Reddit.
History of issue:
- One day Discord stopped opening; click icon and nothing opens - no process started that I could see in Task Manager
- Figured I'd uninstall and reinstall.
- Used Windows uninstall; would click uninstall and nothing would happen.
- Ended up downloading Revo Uninstaller to uninstall which was successful
- After uninstall I am now unable to install
What I've tried
- Tried all steps for a corrupt install: https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004307527--Windows-Corrupt-Installation
- Tried installing the Canary client; still errors
- I also unpacked the DiscordSetup.exe with 7zip, copied to my root folder, and then extracted and ran the files inside (I followed guidance on YouTube but lost the video link)
What is happening?
All installs fail and generate a log and in that log everytime is a failure noting something in regards to being unable to find something called PresentationCore (assumed to be a DLL; part of Microsoft .NET)
Unhandled exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationCore, Version=188.8.131.52, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'PresentationCore, Version=184.108.40.206, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String args)
at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String args)
I have verified PresentationCore.DLL is in the correct folders. I have used Microsoft's .NET framework repair tool.
As a note I went into Windows > Assembly folder and I see PresentationCore listed twice - both as version 220.127.116.11. It seems like I am missing version 18.104.22.168 but no real idea, even after a ton of googling, how to get 22.214.171.124 to show up in assembly.
Appreciative of any ideas anyone has while I also work with Discord support.